Tuesday, July 16, 2013

That time I went to way too much trouble in order to not take advantage of modern conveniences.

About three months ago, I decided I wanted recipe cards.

I was laughed at by Pinterest mavens and iPhone loyalists for my antiquated preferences. Why would I ever want to write out an ingredient list and instructions by hand on a flammable scrap of paper I could easily lose and spend hours/days/weeks/eons searching for instead of calling up the desired recipe using a handy-dandy search bar? A question to which my reply will always be, "in the case of a worldwide power outage during which I have accidentally dropped my laptop off an overpass and my cell phone battery has been pilfered by bandits, it will be nice to know that somewhere in the gigantic jumble of papers in the cabinet above the stove lies an elegantly-designed note card which will allow me to make some top-notch banana bread".

To that end, I've spent the last three months stopping in to every paper store I've stumbled across, scouring each one for the perfect set of recipe cards. My first thought was to buy some pre-made cards, but I quickly foresaw what would happen on the day I used the last one. I anticipated three possible outcomes. Behind door number one, I was successfully able to locate more of the same design, purchased them, and carried on blissfully until the last card in that pack had been used. In scenario number two, being unable to find more identical cards, I picked a different design, bought an absurd number, and copied my existing library onto the new cards to preserve unity with any new recipes I may eventually add to my arsenal. And, most tragically, option number three also began with me unable to find more of the original card and ended with me deciding never to add any new cards because option two seemed ridiculous and combing through a conglomerate of non-matching cards wasn't worth having the ability to create more than eight dishes for the rest of my life.

This was when I had the idea to buy a spoon stamp, offering me the ability to make an infinite number of recipe cards to my exact specifications. So really the last three months have been a ludicrously unsuccessful search for a spoon stamp. Shortly after my return from New York, after another disappointing tour through all the craft supply shops in town, the following realization whacked me in the face:

"You have a computer, amateur design abilities, and a printer. Also, cardstock is on sale this week at Michael's."

I immediately rushed home to create these:
 I find myself overwhelmingly pleased with them. And appreciate the wisdom inherent in affording myself the opportunity to circumvent all three of the aforementioned options, barring lack of a printer, cardstock, and the PDF I will share with you now.

Click here to have the option to continue living in the days of the pioneers in style.

Hope you enjoy as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment