Monday, July 22, 2013

Sunday shenanigans.

Gelato collage
These gems come to you courtesy of the day I’ve spent editing the pictures from my trip to Rome that have been hiding in the recesses of my computer for well over a year now. In this particular case, I’m counting my procrastination as a win because it means I get to relive wonderful memories. Like the time my delicious pistachio gelato fell off of my cone and my dearest friend Bee said “Oo, give me your camera!” instead of welcoming my crushed spirit into her comforting embrace. Because I am a merciful person, she is still my dearest friend.

After church, my father and I ventured into the grocery store together because I mentioned I might like a banana. This is a prime example of what I like to call the “lovably illogical” actions of my father. Tomorrow is my mother’s day off and also one of the two days of the week she replenishes the fruit supply in our home (The other is Thursday. Yes, these are my favorite days.). Of course I can wait until tomorrow for a banana. No, we should not go to the store and pretend we remember what was written on the “to buy at Meijer” post-it note in the kitchen. But without this trip we would not have two boxes of exotically flavored Honey Bunches of Oats, the completely unnecessary carton of orange juice (Unnecessary because a gallon jug was hiding behind nothing in the fridge. By “nothing” I mean it was in plain sight.), and five bananas, none of which I ate today because they’re even more green than I’ll eat them. However, we also would have been without the Turner family laughfest that ensued as my father and I tried to explain ourselves while Amy unabashedly ratted us out upon my mother’s return. You win some, you lose some.

I rounded out my Sunday with an impromptu 15.6 mile bike ride which I am referring to as the “Tour de Academia” because it makes it sound like something fancy I put effort into planning instead of my impulsive decision to ride my bicycle to every school I found meaningful on the West side of Grand Rapids. This adventure earned me a “congratulations” from my mother. I am still wondering if it was a “congratulations on doing something fun and good for your health” or a “congratulations on your discovery that your legs do indeed still function”. Any insight would be appreciated.

And now I’m off to watch a documentary and do a crossword puzzle, a routine I’ve fallen into that I’m not sure I hate. I’ll leave you with a few more treasures from my adventures in Rome.
92410523137
103531761253
8153157
3329
Ciao.

1 comment:

  1. Must you refer to me as, "My Mother"? Seriously, makes me sound WAY too old and a bit stiff. And since I want to bestow ALL of my pertinent insight on you.... "Congratulations"! Because you had fun on your bike!! It is so much more fun to get there by bike. Anyone can drive a car, but it takes great character to ride a bike. (And you, my dear, are a GREAT character!!) You drive a car somewhere and there's nothing... blah, blah, blah, you arrived. You go by bike and there is ALWAYS a story. The deer you saw; how fast you went down that hill; how hard it was to get UP that hill; the pick up truck who failed to look left and almost hit you; the rain; the sunshine!! the people you saw... so much more fun!!! Congratulations for going out and finding the fun!!

    ReplyDelete