Saturday, July 13, 2013

A hilarious video with an important message.

Last night a friend of mine mentioned this video to me and posted it on my Facebook wall when she got home. My life is better because she did.
As someone interested in having a career in international development, I see in this video a really tragic theme I've seen repeated over and over again as I've taken classes and done research on global aide projects. Obviously smoothie makers are a totally irrelevant item to needy people living in rural Africa. And while this parody may present the limit case, it's not nearly as far from the truth as you wish it was. I saw this in action even as recently as my trip to New York. I spent a day sorting donated items to be shipped out to shelters and food banks around the city and was unfortunately unsurprised by the presence of really obscure, unnecessary items and the absence of other really important ones. My least favorite phrase tossed around in reference to aide programs is this:

"At least we/I/you/she/he did something."

I cringe even typing it. If we're going to invest money in improving the quality of life experienced by people across the globe, why not make that money produce the best outcomes possible? Why not dignify the downtrodden by taking the time to ask them what they perceive their needs to be and then seeking to meet them in the same way we would meet the needs of a dearly loved family member? In my head, this is just common sense. But you'd be surprised by the number of organizations that design programs based on their own preconceptions of the target community and don't take the time to evaluate the efficacy of their programs.

More Than Good Intentions is a book that's really helped me organize my thoughts on this subject and acquire a vocabulary with which to express them. I highly recommend for absolutely everyone. It's easy to read and addresses the important subject of how we go about offering the best to those who have very little. At the end, the authors summarize the areas in which they've seen the most success in order to help readers learn how to give their time and money where it counts. Definitely check it out from the library or pick it up from a bookstore. Or come over and borrow it from me. Cause I want you to read this book.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really excited that you are passionate about this, cause we need good people doing this work! And while you are a little weird, you are pretty much a good person, so this counts.

    PS I'm going to get that book.

    ReplyDelete