Friday, August 2, 2013

Mercy by [Ben Kyle]

Some time in March, an iTunes update resulted in the elimination of about 80% of my music library, including every playlist I had ever created. I consider myself lucky to have this be one of the greatest tragedies of my short life. But truly, right before entering finals season? Still pretty devastating.

So somehow I coped with the busiest set of finals in my academic career by listening to 80s songs on Pandora. John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, and I managed to write page after page about the most diverse assortment of topics I’ve ever been asked to address: Down syndrome, global warming and its effect on Malaria incidence, the importance of HIV transmission research in decreasing the stigma associated with the disease, and my own research on DNA repair mechanisms in budding yeast. Obviously this was the best semester of my life. But its soundtrack was severely lacking. Take a chill pill, Mr. Jackson. It’s not you, it’s just everyone else.

But this week, an embarrassing length of time later, I sat down and spent the day figuring out what my options were in terms of restoring my music collection to its former glory. Unfortunately, every rating  I ever made and all the playlists I created in the spring semester are gone into the abyss. Which also means hours of my life have evaporated into thin air. But I find myself not even caring now that I can freely explore the world of music without coming up against 3,000 broken files.

Today’s musical selection comes from my first forays back into my own music. If something makes my eyes feel like they want to cry, it gets five stars. Enjoy these five stars.

Happy Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment