Friday, August 23, 2013

The Bad Days by [David Ramirez]

I’m loving all the beautiful melancholy in this while editing some pictures from Arizona. I spent a chunk of time working in the café section of a local book store and enjoyed perusing the bargain section before I headed out. The funky mood I’ve been in as I think about wrapping up my life in Grand Rapids and starting a new one in Ann Arbor drew me to a book written by Eric G. Wilson in 2008: Against Happiness. Wilson is an English professor at Wake Forest that thinks there’s something terribly, horribly wrong with the voracious American appetite for happiness to the exclusion of melancholia, a state that he thinks responsible for some of the most beautiful art and true appreciation of real life. So far I’ve read the introduction and a little bit of the first chapter. I’m feeling it.

And now I will leave you with a sneak peek of what I’ve been doing with the mountain of photos I took in Arizona.

Happy Thursday.

IMG_9619IMG_0101IMG_9705IMG_9581IMG_9598

No comments:

Post a Comment