Monday, June 24, 2013

Splendid saturday.

This past Saturday night, my sister and I finally got it together and spent some time together. But not before I enjoyed a lovely afternoon of cider and homemade pizza with my dear friend, Alec.
When I returned home from Alec's, Amy, Annie, and I hit the road in search of sunflower fields in Montague, Michigan.
Of course, upon our arrival, we found only green fields for miles. It was then that I remembered the last time I had seen these wondrous flowers had been in mid-August. Spirits remained high since what this tiny country town did have to offer was just as lovely.


It should be noted that all of these pictures were taken over the course of about an hour during which Amy was driving I was occasionally saying, "Ooo! Pull off here!" at which point she would drive the car into the tall grass on the side of the road causing me to open my door and become immediately surrounded by field. Eventually, she decided she would be better served turning around so as to pull off on to the shoulder of the opposite side of the relatively deserted country road where the grass was shorter creating a more obvious landing strip. At least, this is the line of reasoning I had assumed she was employing until she abruptly turned the wheel and drove straight off the road and into a rather deep ditch. She promptly threw it in reverse and tried to get out, as anyone would, but it was immediately obvious that we were pretty securely lodged in this particular roadside depression. By this time, truly not even five minutes after we found ourselves in this predicament, at least four vehicles had pulled over to help us and several more had slowed down to make sure we were well attended. Within the next ten minutes, we had been successfully pulled from what could easily have been the pit of despair by a very kind-hearted gentleman with a pick-up truck and tow strap. We have both concluded that the country is da best.

I decided to spare my sister the embarrassment of having her folly recorded in sharp detail so I didn't grab Annie, but I'm not above instagramming her failures. Interested parties can find what they're looking for here.

At this point, we decided we deserved some food after what we had been through.
We followed up dinner with stroll around the nearby park and marina.

And then we made our way home. Of course, not before stopping to pick up some ice cream.

Hope your Saturday was as lovely as ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment