Sunday, June 30, 2013

A flurry of friendship.

Surprise! I've snuck back a bit early to share photos from my adventures with Becca and my time on Big Star Lake. Upon further consideration, it hardly seemed fair to force the entire city of New York to share face time. So upon my return, my week in the Big Apple will get a post all to itself. Plenty of room to stretch its long limbs and breathe clean air free from taxi exhaust.

But before I hop in a van at 6am tomorrow and ride across the country, here is a summary of how I "rested up" and "prepared myself" for New York.

On Wednesday night, Becca arrived shortly before I got home from my New York pre-trip meeting. There was jumping and hugging and excitement and smiles, all the appropriate hoopla necessary for welcoming a friend you've been separated from for over a year. After hours of catching up and a couple Woodchucks, we headed to bed to get some sleep before our three-day adventure exploring the wonders of Grand Rapids and introducing Becca to life as a Turner commenced.

I took advantage of finally having an intrepid companion and took Becca only to restaurants I had never been to. I realize this strategy could have been catastrophic. Thankfully, it was quite the opposite and we enjoyed incredible food. We made stops at The Electric Cheetah, Parsley Mediterranean Grille, and Cherry Deli. The Electric Cheetah pulled ahead as the favorite in no small part due to the root beer list. Becca is quite the root beer connoisseur, so a root beer selection boasting 30+ brews from all over the country was right up her alley. Definitely recommend a visit if you're ever in the area.
We reveled in the beauty of the Lake Michigan shoreline and dared predictions of thunderstorms to come true.

We enjoyed a stroll around Reed's Lake and Gaslight Village in East Grand Rapids.
We watched my sister perform as Mayzie in Seussical the Musical.
And the next morning, it was time to send Becca off to continue her tour of the Midwest. So grateful for the opportunity to reunite with a dear friend. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak over to her new home in D.C. sometime this fall. A year is far, far too long to wait to see her face.

Right after Becca hit the road, I went into work for a short shift, came home to pack, and was off to Big Star Lake to spend the rest of the weekend with Alec and his parents at their cottage. It was just over 24 hours of great food, even better friends, beach volleyball, karaoke, water sports, and sunshine. It was the perfect way to relax and fill up my cup before embarking on what's sure to be an incredible week of spilling the contents of my heart all over some awesome high schoolers and New York City.
So glad you came to visit, Becca. Can't wait to see you again. And Spauldings--you da best.

Mmk. Time for a handful of sleep before I'm off to New York. See you in a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment