Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Vodafone Tuesday.

A couple weeks ago, I started walking home from work. Our weekend travels have kept us away from frisbee practices, and spending eight hours a day sitting at a desk makes my active little heart cringe, so I’ve taken to covering the three miles between the office and my apartment on foot to satisfy my minimum daily exercise quota. Aside from the stray dog that’s recently come to see it as his responsibility to protect the first major intersection on my route from me and being struck by two motorized vehicles*, I consider this a largely successful pursuit.

*By “struck”, I mean a rickshaw driver backed into me while I was negotiating with another driver in an alley, and a car ran into me yesterday while pulling out of a parking spot, apparently with his eyes closed. I have received a grand total of one bruise and two weird stories from these incidents.

I mention this because my walks have provided me with a means of observing and absorbing more of my summer home. One of my more profitable observations has been an advertisement I saw on the side of a bus for “Vodafone Tuesdays”. The ad was appropriately eye-catching and vague, so I looked up the concept when I got home that night. Vodafone, one of the major Indian cell service providers, has apparently teamed up with a number of restaurants and retailers in India to provide buy one get one coupons to be used on Tuesdays. All one has to do is text the appropriate code to the right number and you can enjoy two of any of a myriad of goods for the price of one. We experimented with this for the first time last week. Lisa and I successfully obtained twin iced lattes from Costa Coffee, and we brought home two medium pizzas from a local pizza joint for dinner. Which we enjoyed while taking in a double feature: When Harry Met Sally and About Time. Because it seemed like the day for things to be enjoyed in twos.

IMG_9004

Yeah, we went to Pizza Hut. I’ll feel bad about it if you can find me one Pizza Hut in the US capable of making tandoori paneer pizza.

IMG_9011IMG_9017

Today we’ve got our sights set on another coffee outing and delicious donuts from Mad Over Donuts, a donut shop originally started in Singapore whose mission is “to serve the best donuts this planet has ever known”. Judgment suspended, M.O.D.

Happy Vodafone Tuesday to you and you and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment