Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The most meaningful bananas I’ve ever purchased.

There’s a man who sells fruit outside my house.

He stands beside his bountiful cart just twenty feet from our gate. Sometimes he has a smaller annex cart from which he sells lychee. Like a lychee outlet store.

He’s been there every morning, rain or shine. And he’s there every evening when I get home. And I think I’ve seen him after dark with a lamp jerry-rigged to illuminate his fruit.

I’ve visited his stand a few times over the last few weeks. One afternoon, we bought a couple mangoes and a bunch of lychee as an afternoon snack. On the Fourth of July, he provided me with my kilo of lychee. And on a few mornings, I’ve purchased two bananas before hopping in a rickshaw and going to work.

This morning was a banana morning. I walked over to the stand and waited patiently as my produce-purveying friend helped another customer who seemed to be amassing a rather large quantity of fruit. When he noticed me standing there, he held up one finger, asking his current patron to wait, grabbed two bananas, and walked over to hand them to me with a smile. Shocked by the unprecedented display of friendliness, I think I somehow managed to pull the correct change out of my wallet. Then, as if nothing monumental had occurred, he went back to helping his customer select plums while I skipped off to find a rickshaw.

Three cheers for feeling known in a new home.

And now enjoy some street art from the village our office is in.

IMG_9682

Happy Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment